We make tools that make websites.

Forums (Archived)

The Solspace Support Forums are now CLOSED (read-only)

Check out our new support options here. Please refer to this blog post for more information.

photo_url Missing

Rank

Total Posts: 25

PM

Ignore

Hello all,

I’ve been using Solspace’s add-ons on a few different project and truly love them.  Great job, Solspace!

Recently I ran into an issue trying to get a user’s member photo.  I have able to get the photo_filename, but photo_url is returning blank.  I haven’t experienced this before I upgraded to 3.3.7 so I’m thinking that it might have something to do with that.  Here is the code that I am using:

{exp:user:stats member_id="{author_id}" dynamic="off" member_only="no"}

<class="seller-brand" href="{path='profiles/profile'}/{member_id}">

{exp:ce_img:single src="{photo_url}{photo_filename}" alt="{full_name}" crop="no" max_width="98" max_height="98" cache="yes" refresh="360"}

</a>
  <
a href="{path='profiles/profile}/{member_id}" class="seller-review">
    <
span class="icon icon-review"></span>

View Seller Reviews    

</a>
{/exp:user:stats} 

I know that it is getting into the loop as the links are going to the correct place, and after some testing I found that the photo_filename is coming through too, it’s just the photo_url that’s not.

So some information on my system, running EE 2.4.0 with User 3.3.7.  Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Lucas

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 9901

PM

Ignore

Hi Lucas,

Do you have a URL saved under the “URL to Photos Folder” setting in the Member preferences section of the CP (Members => Preferences)?
I tried outputting {photo_url} on EE 2.4 and User 3.3.7, and had no trouble getting the URL displayed. Have you tried {photo_url} on its own, outside of the {exp:ce_img} tag? smile

Signature

Rank

PM

Ignore

Hi Nicolas,

Thank you for your quick response.  Unfortunately, the answer is yes to both of your questions.  The URL to Photos Folder is set and correct, and I have tried outputting {photo_url} on it’s own but it still comes through blank.
Any other idea?

Thank you,
Lucas

RankRankRankRankRank

PM

Ignore

Hm, I can’t think of anything else to check.
Can you PM me with a login account so I can have a direct look? Please tell me what template I should be looking at. Thanks smile

Signature

Rank

PM

Ignore

This has been sent.

RankRankRankRankRank

PM

Ignore

I think it’s fixed now grin
I tried {photo_url} on your page directly, not within ce_img, and the URL showed up correctly.
Then I realized that {photo_url} contains the filename, so {photo_filename} isn’t necessary! I’m seeing an image now, let me know if you do as well smile

Signature

Rank

PM

Ignore

Thanks Nicolas!  I am seeing it, but only when I log out.  If I view it while logged in as either the user or the site super admin I don’t see it.  I have added this line (photo = {photo_url}) above all of the ce_img stuff, so if you take a look again you can see that there.

RankRankRankRankRank

PM

Ignore

I’m logged in as a Super Admin and can see an image. Have you cleared your browser and EE cache?

On a possibly separate note, the {exp:user:stats} is inside a {exp:channel:entries} tag, is that right?
It seems that User is considering member_id=”{author_id}” as the member_id of the author of the entry currently being displayed. Is that what you want, or do you want the to display stats of the currently logged in user?

Signature

Rank

PM

Ignore

So strange.  I’ve cleared all my browser cache and the EE cache, but I’m still not seeing the image.

Thank you for pointing this out.  I do want the information of the channel author to be displayed, so I think that it is correct.  Do you have a suggestion of maybe a better way of approaching this?  Though I’ve done a few sites in EE, I’m always open to new/better ways of doing stuff grin.

Thanks,
Lucas

RankRankRankRankRank

PM

Ignore

I’ve been looking around your setup, and I noticed that when you log in (I logged in as you since I’m a Super Admin), you don’t see {photo_url}, whereas when I log in I see {photo_url} even though I’m also a Super Admin. This is very mysterious.

I guess you could go to the bottom of this by trying out {exp:user:stats} on a fresh and separate blank template and using member_id=“4” (the member from which you’re trying to display the {photo_url}), to see if the variable renders when logged in as yourself, me, or when logged out. smile

EDIT: I also turned on the Output profiler, to see if queries are different under me or you, but saw nothing out of the ordinary.

Signature

Rank

PM

Ignore

Thank you again!  I had noticed the Output profiler being on, and figured it was you wink.

I will try out your suggestions tomorrow and give you and update as it goes.

Thanks,
Lucas

Rank

PM

Ignore

Good Morning Nicolas,

So I have tried what you suggested (http://staging.greenstreamline.com/profiles/test_profile) and as you can see here, it is working as expected.  After seeing this, I went to the products/item page that we were testing on yesterday and replaced member_id=”{author_id}” to member_id=“4” and I am still not seeing the photo_url coming through.  I did login as the user that I set up for you and I could see it then, but not with the actual author of the entry or my super admin account.  So confusing tongue laugh.

Do you think that it could be that the {exp:user:stats} tag is inside of the {exp:channel:entries} tag?  I’m really confused as to what is going on here, so any suggestion would be great.

Thanks,
Lucas

RankRankRankRankRank

PM

Ignore

Hi Lucas,

I tried a hard-coded value as well, and although I could see member_id 4’s image, once logged in under your account I still couldn’t see this. Very odd indeed.

A solution that might be worth trying, though, would be to place this {exp:user:stats} code in an embed. Your template is fairly complex, so there might be some variable clash or the like going on when the tag is not embedded. smile

Signature

Rank

PM

Ignore

Hey Nicolas,

Cool.  I’ve moved this out into an embed and everything is working as expected.  Just out of curiosity, I heard somewhere that using embeds can slow down page loads, is this true?  I’m not to worried here, but there are places that I have purposely not used embeds for the sake of speed.

Thank you so much for all of your help.  You can close this out now.

Thanks,
Lucas

RankRankRankRankRank

PM

Ignore

Great! I guess there was a parsing/variable clash issue somewhere. smile

Indeed, embeds are not recommended for performance reasons, but sometimes you have no choice to avoid parsing issues, etc. Alternatively, you could use our very own Template Morsels module, which works similar to embeds, but without the embedding overhead, leading to much better performance wink

Since the issue is resolved, I’ll close the thread, but feel free to post again if you have other questions!

Signature