We make tools that make websites.

Forums (Archived)

The Solspace Support Forums are now CLOSED (read-only)

Check out our new support options here. Please refer to this blog post for more information.

huge site to cache

Rank

Total Posts: 19

PM

Ignore

I have one huge site that has a lot of spikes in traffic, we do not know when and where users will come. I need to cache whole site on file based.

MY idea was, I cache whole site, put automatic refresh every 2 days, and only homepage I cache for 30 minutes or so ...

what do you think? any advice? this site has more than 200 entries per day published.

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 9901

PM

Ignore

Hi crnaovca,

Unfortunately, SPC is unable to cache the homepage given that index.php is central to the functioning of an EE site. The other pages can be cached. URLs can be added to a cache queue (through the CP or through tags in a template), which you can then set to check and recache URLs based on your schedule. One of the methods of checking is done by accessing a template containing SPC tags to check cache. smile
More details about SPC can be found in the documentation:
http://www.solspace.com/docs/addon/c/Static_Page_Caching/

You might also want to consider Template Morsels, which has a different approach to SPC to speed up a site, but could be useful on your homepage for example:
http://www.solspace.com/docs/addon/c/Template_Morsels

Signature

Rank

Total Posts: 19

PM

Ignore

so what do you suggest for cacheing frontpage? template morsels? are they file based? I thought that file based cache is the fastest one ...

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 9901

PM

Ignore

I would suggest Template Morsels. It’s not file-based, but data is cached and stored in the database for quick retrieval. This would be used to cache parts of your template code where EE usually may take a long time to retrieve information (eg. large database queries, {exp:channel:entries} tag retrieving a large number of results, nested loops, etc), as well as to avoid having to load the template engine when embeds are called, which can greatly affect template performance. smile

Signature